So I have been explaining to Mary (though I don't know if she can really take it in - I can't) exactly how many people are still sending her their love and devotion. This blog alone has had over 5,500 views. This makes me feel like I ought to be writing up here a bit more frequently as no doubt you are just desperate to hear the progress. I will try.
Mary is having physiotherapy every day still. This is just great because she needs this balance of stimulation, and then lots of sleep. On Wednesday she seemed to show that she was able to 'track' items with her eyes - moving them from side to side to follow her favourite perfume bottle. The hard thing is that progress is often inconsistent - one day Mary responds to her asking her to open and close her eyes etc, other days we can't be sure.
Mary is waiting for her pins and rods to be taken out of her legs as the bone heals. She is also likely to have a minor op where a tube goes straight to her tummy, supplying her with the bag of 'food' (some vanilla milkshake paste with all her five-a-day in). This means she won't have the uncomfy tube going down the back of her throat anymore. Mary can't really swallow very well at the moment, so this seems a good option. But physio's are working on the swallow reflex as this will be key to her breathing without the tracheostomy.
Mary will stay in the old building until 14th feb, when she transfers to the new one. In the old building we can still stick things on the walls (yey!) so if you have photos you want to send, or cards, please do send them in and we will ensure they get stuck up. When she transfers this will go into a big scrap book so Mary can still see them all.
Laura,
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting the updates, and for looking after Mary so well. Like all my colleagues in the newspaper newsroom, I miss her daily. Keep your tail up, to borrow an expression from my mother that always comforted me.
Jack
I too am most grateful for news of Mary. She was one of the first people I got to know at The Times when I joined the newspaper in 2008. She is talented, intelligent and completely delightful and she is very much in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteWas looking through some old convent pics the other day and found a lovely one of Mary. i think about her all the time, Mary you are constantly in my thoughts & prayers. Thank you Laura for this blog, i check once a week to see how Mary is progressing. keep up the fight Mary....u can do it. love Alison Thornton & family xxx
ReplyDelete