An Update from Ginny
Being the “much older” sister I used to be the subject of much teasing from both Laura and Mary, who took great delight in referring to me as “Mum” in certain situations, usually very public ones!! Things have not changed at the Royal London, where doctors and nurses presume me to be Mary’s mother. A role I am more than pleased to accept however, particularly as our own dearest Mum is no longer with us. I admit that I do find myself correcting the poor unsuspecting nurse/doctor by saying, “no actually I’m her older sister….” then hastily adding, but its fine – I don’t mind really!!!” to ease their embarrassment.
Mary has been quite awake this weekend – I would say probably the most awake I have seen her over the last few months. Many times I have sat by her bed watching her sleep, which after all we know to be good for brain recovery. This weekend however her eyes were wide open a lot of the time, and often she would look very intently at me giving a sense of more awareness. She can also now turn her head, albeit slightly, indicating further small steps in the right direction. Mary has daily physio sessions to try and help get her limbs moving and on Friday afternoon she was treated to two physiotherapists! It is interesting to watch Mary’s facial expressions during these sessions however I don’t think this was one of her favourites as she proceeded to give the poor girls hard stares until they left the room, though she did manage a thumb wiggle when asked.
To sum up though, the highlight of this weekend was what I believed to be Mary trying her best to lean herself forward towards me as I leant over her, mainly because it is my belief she wanted a cuddle. It could possibly have been an involuntary movement caused by spasms from the brain injury but I like to think it was the former…and so did the nurse.
No comments:
Post a Comment