Thursday, 31 May 2012

small steps (continued...)

So Mary has been back in the wheelchair a couple more times this week. Sometimes she appears to be a little uncomfortable in it, giving the odd grimace, but remains very brave.

On Tuesday she seemed awake enough to be able to concentrate for a few minutes and respond to some simple questions with blinking. Although her responses with blinking are often inconsistent from day to day, when she seems to have a bout of concentration, she does seem to respond with it for a short time. Mary was able to blink 'yes' to questions like 'do you know who I am?' 'do you know why you are in hospital?' and 'would you like music on?' (thanks for all the CDs everyone!).

Through blinking she could also tell us that she wan't in pain. If this, or any other way, can become a consistent means for Mary to respond it will obviously make a huge difference - not only to us as friends and family, but to Mary's quality of life as she continues on the road to recovery...

5 comments:

  1. I'm new to cycling and while finding out all I can I stumbled across this site. All I can say is wow. I really feel sorry for Mary, Mary's family, friends, co-workers etc...
    From across the pond I will keep you all in my thoughts and check in frequently....hoping for a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, as always, for the updates, Laura. Mary is in my thoughts every single day. xxoo Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. Is there anything you need? xxx Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, I don't think there is anything we need at the mo. Thanks so much for all your continued support, thoughts and prayers. Mary is so loved x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the updates Laura. I think about Mary often and hope she is doing better.

    ReplyDelete